The Bank of the West CIM Relay Challenge was initiated by the California International Marathon in 1991 in response to interest by corporations, schools, running clubs, and other groups who wanted to participate in the California International Marathon as a team.
- Relay categories are for male, female, or coed.
- Divisions within these categories include something for everyone: open, corporate, military, police/fire, fitness club, running club, family, high schools (only $50 for high school team entries).
All relay team members receive:
- Technical fabric t-shirt with the annual art, unique for each year.
- Annual Marathon Spectator Guide with a listing of the teams and additonal information.
- Transport of "sweats bags" from the start of each leg to the finish area with purchase of bus ticket.
- Medallions at the finish of each leg.
- At the end of each leg, transportation to the finish area with purchase of bus ticket.
- Access to the finish area at the State Capitol where food and beverages will be served.
Relay Event Rules:
- No one other than the original team who officially registered may use the bib numbers and the timing chip issued to that team. Transferring and/or selling of these items is illegal.
- The bib number must be clearly visible at all times, may not be altered in any way, and must be displayed on the front of the runner.
- The timing chip must be worn on the ankle using the strap provided, and be no more than six inches up from the ground.
- To be listed in the official results, the team must complete the entire course.
- If the team does not complete the entire course, the member running the final leg must not cross the finish line.
- Team members must not join the member running the final leg at any time, especially not as they run the stretch to the finish.
- A Coed Team must have a minimum of two women.
- Teams with three men and one woman will be categorized as a Men's Team.
- Teams with three women and one man are still considerd a Co-ed Team.
- There is NO "DOUBLE DIPPING" between the marathon and the relay.
- Runners must chose one event or the other.
- Marathon runners may not be a participant on a relay team.
- The relay team member must run only the leg(s) assigned to that runner.
Race officials will disqualify runners and/or teams not following these rules.
For complete CIM event rules, click on the link below.